Sunday, October 6, 2013

a call for costumes

my older sister asked me to make costumes for my niece (10) and nephew (5) for Halloween this year! so exciting to be asked to make them so of course i said yes! 

my niece wants to be a Hershey Kiss. so i found a discontinued pattern that i purchased from a great seller on ebay. i figured that would be pretty easy with a pattern and some fun metallic fabric! she is a size 10 and the pattern i used was a child's 10/12. it just needs to have a bit of tissue paper put in the bottom to add some fullness. but i think it looks great! i think the finished product is pretty fabulous! 

here is the pattern 
McCalls 8376

the completed costume


the plume is made with a bit of lightweight interfacing 
hand lettered with a blue fabric marker

now, my nephew wants to be a Lego Mini Figure of Luke Skywalker. um, what? ya, there are no patterns for that, and no good instructions online for making a costume like that so i was on my own. it took a lot of time to draft the pattern using his measurements and making the costume to scale. lots of math and trial and error. i am very pleased with the finished result. 
my inspiration
the boots
they have a bit of elastic underneath to keep them on

the hands
i couldn't resist taking of picture of mr. bear with them on
he is such a good model :)


the head
being modeled by my dress form :)
 

the body
being modeled by a cardboard tube :)
front

side

back
and view of cape
attached a shoulders
there is a full Velcro closure down the back

a view of the whole costume together

my sister promised me she would get a lot of pictures of the kids in their costumes and send them to me, so i will put some of those pictures up when i get them. 
for now, i am pleased with the results of both costumes and rather proud of that hand drafted Mini Figure costume. :) go me!

**EDITED***
here is a picture of the kids in their costumes! i think they look great! :)






2 comments:

  1. What a great job you did !!! Seriously, I am so proud of you :*) You nailed both costumes. The details and seeing Colin wearing it and how happy he was and Madi too.... well done !!! I love you XOXOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks mom! :) i am excited that both costumes fit well and they both like them. it was a big challenge but was a lot of fun too! :)

      Delete